Home Faculty Garry Mealor
Born: 1957, Albertville, Alabama
- 1982 - ABJ, University of Georgia
- 2007 - MFA, Art Institute of Boston – Lesley University
My paintings are composites of various references in which perspective, point of view, light/shadow and composition are manipulated to create an image that is both believable and impossible. Art critics and others have described my work this way:
“The accidental or arbitrary mingles with the intentional, going beyond realism to give the work a life of its own. And that is the greatest enigma.” -- Mary Ann Marger, St. Petersburg Times art critic.
“A story without a story. At the same time, it’s a tour de force in watercolor compellingly painted and beautifully constructed.” -- Richard West, Director of Seattle’s Frye Art Museum.
“Spilled water demonstrates Mealor’s consummate mastery of the brush; the juxtaposition of the blue vessel, its red stem and yellow tulip seem almost electric in their energy and brightness.” -- Mike Dunham, art critic, Anchorage Daily News.
“By using the simplified color and shapes of his tomatoes to convey this emotion, he has met the standards of both abstract art and the most intricate representational art. Not many artists can do that.” -- Joanne Milani, art critic, Tampa Tribune.
- 1993-94 Adjunct faculty, Ringling School of Art & Design, FL.
- 1994-present Drawing Coordinator, University of Alaska/Anchorage.
- Alaska Pacific University. Solo-Exhibition, 2005, 97
- Alaska Center of Contemporary Art. Juried Exhibition, 2004. *
- Anchorage Museum of History & Art. All Alaska Juried Exhibition, 2004, 02, 00,* 96.*
- University of Alaska/Anchorage. Solo-Exhibition, 2004.
- Swanson Memorial Gallery. Art is But Nature, Utah, 2003.
- Wilkerson Fine Art. Smithsonian Institute Traveling Exhibit, Utah, 2003.
- Wilkerson Fine Art. Winter Olympics 2002 Arts Festival, Utah, 2002.
- Anchorage Museum of History & Art. Featured Artist, 2002.
- Anchorage Museum of History & Art. Contemporary Work from the Permanent Collection, 2001.
- Bellevue Arts Fair. Bellevue Art Museum, Washington, 2000.
- Anchorage Museum of History & Art. Solo – Exhibition, 1999.
- Foothills Art Center, Rocky Mountain National, Colorado, 1995,* 93, 91.*
- Fort Hays University Gallery, Great Plains National Exhibition, Kansas, 1995.
- Stonington Gallery,Solo – Exhibition, Alaska, 1995.
- Gasparilla Fine Arts Festival. Florida, 1994, 93,* 92.
- Society of the Four Arts, 55th National Exhibition of Contemporary American Art, Florida, 1993.
- Salt Lake Art Center,Watercolor Honor Society Biennial, Utah, 1993.
- Ringling School of Art and Design Gallery, Faculty Exhibition, Florida, 1993.
- Fine Arts Museum of the South,Triennial Southeastern, Alabama, 1993.
- Studio Art Centers Invitational,Florida, 1993.*
- Armory Art Center,Figurative Small Works, Florida, 1993, 92.*
- Sarasota Visual Arts Center,Artists of Florida Exhibition, 1993.*
- Brevard Art Museum,The Florida Figure Invitational, 1993.
- Huntsville Museum of Art, Contemporary Southern Art Biennial, Alabama, 1992.
- Neville Public Museum,Permanent Collection Watercolors, Wisconsin, 1992.
- University of Florida Art Gallery,Visual Arts Fellowships, 1992.
- LeMoyne Art Foundation,7th Tri-State Exhibition, Florida, 1992.*
- North Miami Center of Contemporary Art,VisualArts Fellowships, 1992.
- Springfield Art Museum, Watercolor USA HonorSociety Biennial, Missouri, 1991.
- University of South Dakota and North Dakota, DakotasInternational Artwork on Paper, 1991, 89.*
- DeLand Museum, Southeastern Watercolor Exhibition, Florida, 1991.
- Springfield Art Museum, Watercolor USA, Missouri, 1991.*
- Parkersburg Art Center, American Realism Exhibition, W.Virginia, 1991, 90.
- Maryland Federation of Art Gallery, MFA Arton Paper Exhibition, 1991.*
- Clayton Galleries, Group Exhibition of FloridaWatercolors,1991.
- Neville Public Museum,Midwest WatercolorSociety National Exhibition,Wisconsin, 1990,* 89.*
- Shillard-Smith Gallery,Gulf Coast Biennial,Florida, 1989.
- Neville Lake Mary Festival of Art, Florida, 1988.*
- Shillard-Smith Gallery,REAL LIFE: A Paintingand Drawing Invitational, Florida, 1988.
- Shillard-Smith Gallery,Florida Gulf CoastBiennial, 1987.
- University of Tampa Gallery,Tampa CentennialExhibition, Florida, 1987.
- 2000 – 03 Artist in Residence, Anchorage Public School System, Alaska.
- 1999 - Alaska State Council on the Arts Grant.
- 1999 - Alaska Arts Council Public Arts Collection.
- 1996 - Anchorage Museum of History & Art Permanent Collection.
- 1992 - Visual Arts Grant, Pollock-Krasner Foundation, New York.
- 1991 - Individual Artist Fellowship, Florida.
- 1991 - Florida Arts Council Public Arts Collection.
- 1990 - Neville Public Museum Permanent Collection, Wisconsin.
- 1990 - Florida Artist Collection, City of Orlando, Florida.
- 1988 - Tampa Public Art Collection, Florida