Home Faculty Don Decker
- 44 years experience: drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, sculpture, and installation.
- Included in 183 exhibitions in 19 states, Guam, and Washington DC.
- 31 solo exhibitions: Anchorage Museum, Alaska State Museum, Bunnell Street Arts Center, Alaska Pacific University, University of Alaska Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula College, Wells Street Gallery, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, and others.
- Selected for 45 invitational/juried exhibitions at the Anchorage Museum.
- Named as one of the “most successful” artists in All-Alaska Juried Exhibition- 1976-2006 by Wanda Seamster’s Visual Dog.
- Recipient of more than 40 awards, honors and museum purchases.
- Anchorage Mayor’s Arts Award 2006: Excellence in Artistic Discipline.
- Recognized by Anchorage Mayor/ Municipal Assembly Resolution for “devotion to Anchorage in support of art and artists” 2004.
- Ken Gray Award- Artistic Achievement: International Gallery of Contemporary Art, 1998.
- Included in public collections: Municipal and State 1% for Art collections, Alaska State Museum, University of Alaska Museum, Anchorage Museum, Alaska Contemporary Art Bank, Del Mar College of Texas, Hawaii Foundation on Culture/Arts, Kenai Convention and Visitor’s Bureau.
- Seven works in the permanent collection of the Anchorage Museum.
- 45 years teaching experience, 1964- present: K-12 and college levels
- Wisconsin (1964-1969), Guam (1969-71), Alaska (1971-present).
- Adjunct Art Faculty: University of Alaska Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna College, Chapman College, Alaska Pacific University, and Anchorage Museum.
- Supervising Teacher: UAA Teacher Intern Program, 1972-1978.
- Anchorage Teacher of the Year, 1987.
- Art Correspondent: Anchorage Press, Art Matters, Visual Dog.
- Anchorage Daily News Art Reviewer, 2003-present.
- Anchorage Museum Art Acquisition Committee member: 2006- present.
- Co-owner/manager, Decker/Morris Gallery, Anchorage, 1994-2004.
- Co-owner/manager, Center for Contemporary Visual Art of Alaska 2004.
- Co-director, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, 2000- 2008.
- Co-director, ION (International at Out North) 2007.
- Artists In Schools Coordinator, Alaska State Council on Arts, 1997-2001.
- President, Anchorage Education Association, 1975-1976.
- B.A. Art Education, Carthage College, 1967.
- M.A. Art, University of Guam, 1972.
- M.L.A. Southern Methodist University, 1982.
- M.F.A. Vermont College of Fine Arts, 2009.